Slate Creek Grille survives water woes

By Kacie Svoboda


Last week, the Slate Creek Grille ran dry as weeks of pressure issues culminated in a complete water loss on Sunday, Aug. 7.

The restaurant began experiencing low water pressure in late July, but thought some small leaks in their restrooms were the culprit. They called in a plumber and had the leaks repaired but the problem persisted.

Still convinced the pressurization issue could be found and remedied within the restaurant’s system, another plumber was called in to diagnose the source of the trouble.

“We never would’ve thought it was a main break,” explained Slate Creek Grille kitchen manager Chase Hodek. “We called in plumber after plumber.”

As it got worse, the toilets had trouble flushing and on Sunday, Aug. 7, Slate Creek Grille management closed two of the establishment’s bathrooms.

“We just weren’t getting enough pressure to keep them open,” Hodek said.

Later that day, the restaurant’s water pressure dropped into non-existence, forcing management to call in yet another plumber sometime after 10 p.m.

Restaurant staff hoped the most recent repair would allow the pressure to build back up by opening time on Monday, Aug. 8, but they were disappointed. Slate Creek Grille management decided to close the restaurant for the day.

However, that morning Dallas Alexander and city workers showed up at the property and began digging in the front flowerbed along Main Street.

According to city administrator Brett McMacken, the city had a suspicion the Slate Creek Grille’s water issues were caused by a leak in the service line to the business.

While the city worked to repair the leak, they temporarily supplied water from the nearby Hill City Post Office, allowing the business to reopen at 9 a.m. after just a two-hour closure.

According to Hodek, the city dug in front of the restaurant for two to three days, expanding onto Main Street to find the correct curb stop.

McMacken explained that the crew found and shut off the only marked curb stop in the area, but found the leak still active.

They then followed the service line to discover another curb stop, which had probably been buried 20 years,  and was not in the city record. The leak was officially repaired last week and the hole temporarily filled.

“It was a problem. I’m glad we got it fixed,” Hodek concluded. “We just want to thank Dallas Alexander and the city workers who put in the time and effort to keep us up and running.”