Snow not a factor in Run Crazy Horse

By Jeff Smith

Marilyn and Chintan Mistry from Illinois finish the Run Crazy Horse half-marathon on Oct. 7. Although it was a dreary day with rain and fog many participants showed up to participate in the race.

This year was shaping up to be the largest Run Crazy Horse ever before a predicted weather event scared some away. Forecasters predicted snow for the area throughout the night of Oct. 7, the day of the marathon and half-marathon.

Although it was pretty chilly on Oct. 7 there was no snow. Jim Delo of Hill City said that he would have preferred 60 degrees and sunny but it didn’t really run the whole way to Hill City.

Many of the half-marathon participants finished before it started to drizzle consistently.

Although it was cold there were many who were still out in downtown Hill City this past Sunday cheering the runners on. Music blaring at the finish line pumped up the crowd.

This was the eighth year of Run Crazy Horse. Event organizer Emily Wheeler said more of the local people who were set to drive in to the area didn’t come because of the predicted storm.

“The race went great. We were excited that we could have it because the storm didn’t turn out as bad as it would have been,” Wheeler said.

Overall, there were 696 people that participated in the Run Crazy Horse marathon and half-marathon.

Over 1,200 people registered for the event. The people who registered were from 40 different states. Participants even came from various countries. Runners from Canada, Norway, South Africa and the United Kingdom participated in the event.

There were nine runners from Hill City who participated in the event. One runner was from Keystone.

“I would like to say thanks to the city, all of the volunteers and Crazy Horse for hosting us,” Wheeler said.

The event is set for Oct. 6 next year and hopefully there will be better weather conditions.

Leo Tyska from the Chicago, Ill. area has a goal to run a marathon in every state.

“It was a great race. A really pretty course,” Tyska said.

South Dakota was his 41st state.

“I would highly recommend this but I probably won’t be back because I need to get some other states in,” Tyska said.

Tyska was not that pleased with his finishing time and thought that the altitude might have been a factor.

“I tried to go a little faster on the downhill up to the 10-mile mark and I thought I was going a lot faster than I actually did,” Tyska said.

From mile 10-16 it was an uphill battle and tough for Tyska. For a lot of the race he did a combination of walking and running.

“I got the time I deserved but I was hoping for a little bettter.” Tyska said.

Tim Fryer of Hendricks, Minn. was the second-place finisher of the Run Crazy Horse marathon. He said that he started off fast and held on. It was his first time participating and he said the Mickelson Trail brought him to the race.

Laren Roderick, who finished the marathon about a minute after Fryer, said he liked his time and stayed feeling good up to the last two miles.

“The course was great,” Roderick said.

He was trying to set a personal record on the course.

Roderick was part of the Black Hills Runners Club group.

“We got quite a few runners participating today. It varies at different events,” Roderick said.

The club has a five-race trail series and competes in marathons to participate in established events.

He started running a lot seven years ago.

“I like hanging out with my buddies and running,” Roderick said.

Jeremy Elsom said he didn’t quite do what he wanted but the event went well. He placed fourth in the marathon.

This was second time running in the event.

“It was cold and the hill was harder than I remember,” Elsom said.

He didn’t think he was in as good as shape as he was last time he ran it.

Asher Catterall from Gillette, Wyo. broke the course record for the marathon at 2:42:17. The next closest time was Fryer at 3:04:08.